Sunday, May 2, 2010

Alma - Chapter 32


I've been feeling sorry for myself lately because of my inability to find adequate employment fo support my family.  Consequently, I read this chapter quite differently today, than I ever have before.  For the first time I viewed this scripture from the point of view of the poor.  That in and of itself is a great blessing.

For the first time I can relate a little to the despair, frustration, resentment and bitterness that can accompany poverty.  It is interesting that Alma and Amulek didn't address their poverty.  They didn't teach them about how to prepare a resume' or encourage them to get an education.  The record doesn't show that they delivered food or clothing to the impoverished Zoramites.  Theirs was a message of faith.  Trust in God, they were taught.  Even if you can only desire to trust Him, let that be a beginning point.  Additionally, these brethren didn't encourage them to blame their circumstances on those who were rich, powerful, discriminating and (no doubt) withholding.

The tree of life belongs to you and you must plant and nourish it.  Then it will grow up and bear fruit unto you.  No matter what our circumstances, the gospel is one of personal responsibility, personal integrity, personal faith.  For many of us, myself included apparently, poverty is a blessing.  That is, if it humbles us sufficiently to bring us to a place where we can learn to place our trust, our faith, in God.  The result being that we shall never hunger or thirst, regardless of what the Plutocrats around us may do.

No comments: