Wednesday, December 2, 2009

2 Nephi - Chapter 25


One of the reasons I love The Book of Mormon so much is that Nephi delighted in plainness.  I remember the first time I read The Old Testament.  It was on my mission.  I went from that to reading The Book of Mormon and it was like coming out of a cave into daylight.  Don't take me wrong, I loved The Old Testament, but in terms of clear, pure, understandable plainness The Book of Mormon excels brilliantly.  I am so glad we are counseled to read from it's pages continually.

Any one who had tried to keep the law has failed to fully do so.  Paul described it as a school master.  Our attempts to live perfect lives according to the law will always, of necessity, meet with failure and disappointment.  Perhaps the schooling comes in the realization of our own ability to save ourselves.  A sincere effort to keep the law is a sure fire way to discover our weakness and make the vital discovery that we need help.

...there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.
This is the central discovery we all must make and then accept.  Whether Muslim or Jew, Christian or Buddhist all must recognize the Holy Messiah and rely upon His merits and mercy, or we cannot be saved.  There is no other way.  I believe Isaiah's prophecies are full of the hope and assurance that God is working to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."  Whether nations or individuals, all will spend time outside the "arms of safety" and must choose to surrender to Christ to obtain that blessed peace and salvation that only He can provide.

1 comment:

di said...

It is with relief and great joy that I enter into the plainness of Nephi