Thursday, December 10, 2009

2 Nephi - Chapter 33


There sure a lot of similarities in sentiment and thought between Nephi's last words and Moroni's.  Each is so earnest in their desire that the word might have it's intended effect in the lives of their readers.  Each has a keen awareness of his weakness.  Each has a firm conviction of God's purpose in having them make their records.  Each has lofty hopes of the word of God reaching into the hearts of many.

I've thought a lot today about the earnestness with which I approach my callings.  Do I pray anxiously for the recipients of the service I am called to perform?  Or am I mostly praying that I won't embarrass myself.  Do I have a Nephi like conviction that I really am about my Father's business, that my efforts are truly in accord with His desires and Eternal will?  When my callings get difficult do I perform them anyway with a firm determnation to be obedient?

For me, Nephi has been persuasive in expounding the doctrine and causing me to believe it.  The big question lies in whether or not I am following Nephi's example as well as his teachings.  I hope I am.  There is certainly lots of room for improvement.

1 comment:

di said...

Ah yes, Candleman....imagine the church if each member was as fervant as Nephi or Moroni...

My thoughts on this chapter...

6 I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell.

A young elder taught me to love this verse. I too glory in MY JESUS. He is my glory, my hope, my sanctuary, my reason, my God. I also glory in his patience, kindness and long-suffering with me. Because of these attributes, I can begin to understand, slightly, my value.