Friday, January 29, 2010

Alma - Chapter 10

 
6 Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not  hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling  against God, in the wickedness of my heart, even until the fourth day of this seventh month, which is in the tenth year of the reign of the judges.
I so identify with Amulek.  It is so easy to be unwilling to hear, unwilling to know the will of the Lord because we want so much to have things our way instead of His.  I think this is the ultimate test for each of us and winds up being the essence of pride if we choose to go on rebelling.

It looks like the people of Ammonihah hid behind the curtain of political correctness, much as America does today.  Their legal and political system had learned to silence the masses by making it dangerous to speak one's mind.  Yesterday the papers were full of recriminations for expressions of disagreement between President Obama and Justice Alito during the State of the Union Address.  "Protocol" doesn't permit such departures!  Gasp!  While the Parliamentary culture of the England is a bit more roudy, at least people seem free to speak their minds.  Here, the "thought police" are working diligently to stifle free expression.  I wonder if our results will mirror those of Ammonihah - in the end.

2 comments:

D1Warbler said...

My problem with the incident during the State of the Union wasn't with the content of the President's remarks. I think he has a perfect right, as do we, to question a Supreme Court decision. My problem was with the setting -- i.e., that the President chose a venue and a time to make that particular comment when the Justices were "sitting ducks" -- literally.

The protocal of the State of the Union address is such that they could not respond -- regardless of whether or not their response was correct or not.

Thus, calling them out in the middle of a formal address, during which they could not defend themselves without censure -- was the act of a small person -- regardless of his title.

I don't agree with all of the decisions made by this Supreme Court or any other we have had, but I truly felt sorry for all of them (even those who had not agreed with that decision) as I watched them being attacked by their President and then surrounded by legislators who literally "closed in for the political kill" with their standing ovation. The whole scene was painful and disgraceful.

D1Warbler said...

Just so you don't think that I dont value or invite vigorous (non-politically correct) discussion, etc., I do. I generally hate political correctness, but this was a very particular situation in which proscribed etiquette should have been followed.