Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Alma - Chapter 7


Is this the first time, chronologically, that Mary is named.  I think it is.  It fascinates me that revelation is given gradually in this manner.  In verse 8 Alma makes it plain that while much has been revealed to him, he does not know all things.  Clearly God measures out to us that which we need and are prepared for.  When Moroni promises us that we "may know the truth of all things," he obviously isn't promising all knowledge, just an affirmation of the truth of such knowledge as we are given.

25 And may the Lord bless you, and keep your garments spotless, that ye may at last be brought to sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and the holy prophets who have been ever since the world began, having your garments spotless even as their garments are spotless, in the kingdom of heaven to go no more out.
What a wonderful blessing, that the Lord will keep my garments spotless.  That is His job and something I cannot possibly accomplish.

I can:
...be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things I stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things I do receive.
I can do that by humbling myself, but even there I'm going to need a lot of Divine assistance.  Grace.

No comments: