Friday, January 22, 2010

Alma - Chapter 3


I think it is interesting how people always tend to distinguish themselves from others by costume.  Especially, when we divide into groups.  There are all manner of "ites" in our schools, neighborhoods, and ethnic groups.  All of us who wish to be separated from the others adopts a costume with which to make the distinction.  In the Detention Center all are dressed alike and ordinarily that lack of group oriented attire allows bridges to build between children of different, even opposing groups.  Skin color (though less of a  boundary than it used to be) still makes a difference.  You could call Temple Clothing a costume and it does distinguish Temple goers from those who are not.  But Temple Clothes are not worn in public among the other groups.  I like that in the Temple all are dressed alike and no distinction is made between rich and poor, powerful or ordinary, important or obscure.  In so many ways, as we make our choices, we mark or label ourselves.
27 For every man receiveth wages of him whom he listeth to obey...
The use of the word listeth interests me.  I can't find a dictionary that includes this word.  I suppose it is an archaic form of listen.  Thus we get wages of he to whom we listen.  Or, is it perhaps a derivative of the the word list, as in leaning toward.  Perhaps we get wages from he, to whom we are inclined.  It implies more a bit more action than just lending an ear.  Maybe when we really listen, we lean in, in an effort to pay closer attention.  I want to do that pay close attention, so I can better obey they master I've chosen.  Wages notwithstanding.


3 comments:

D1Warbler said...

I'm pretty sure "listeth" means to lean toward.

I've always thought that uniforms (for school children especially) were a great idea as they provide a leveling influence. Differences in clothing, especially, can be such a distaction in all kinds of difficult ways.

I also find it lovely that we all dress in a similar fashion in the Temple. I imagine we will do so in the hearafter as well.

D1Warbler said...

I was thinking a little bit more about the topic of "costumes." There are times when "costumes" help create an important and needed distinction between groups of people -- such as between missionaries and the general public.

As usual, no general rule fits all cases, except that wearing "costumes" (even good ones) should never be an excuse to discriminate "unrighteously" against others.

D1Warbler said...

PS: Glad to see your post today, Candleman. I was wondering if you were OK!