Sunday, January 24, 2010

Alma - Chapter 5



26 And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?
What a wonderful question.  What a magnificent description of a change of heart - having felt to sing the song of redeeming love.  Do we get jaded or get so immersed in the circumstance of God's love that we forget where we are?  Where we've been?  I do.

27 Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?
Is it easy to forget that redemption comes by humbly accepting the Atonement of Christ and not because of our own merits?  It is for me.  I get too proud of my own accomplishments, which never redeemed anyone, most especially myself.
28 Behold, are ye stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life.
I got into recovery by having my pride stripped from me by my powerlessness.  How easy it is to put on that concealing, repulsive cloak and begin to hide from truth and God once more.
29 Behold, I say, is there one among you who is not stripped of envy? I say unto you that such an one is not prepared; and I would that he should prepare quickly, for the hour is close at hand, and he knoweth not when the time shall come; for such an one is not found guiltless.
 Ouch!  I have so much work to do.  I hope I can do it quickly.  I must.

2 comments:

di said...

Can ye feel so now?

I was pondering these very words this morning. After a week of teaching seminary, the adrenalin has tapered off, and yesterday I came home feeling discouraged. I was thinking THEY don't want to be there, and neither do I! As I realized the truth of my own lack of desire, I wondered what it would take in my life to change it. What if....I really wanted to be there? It might make all of the difference. I have felt that desire before...How can I feel so now?

D1Warbler said...

I would say that the only answer to that plea, Di, is to pray for that desire -- just as it says in Alma 32.

Since I know what an amazingly spiritual woman you are, I'm pretty sure the Lord will answer your plea in the affirmative!