Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Alma - Chapter 6


 6 Nevertheless the children of God were commanded that they should gather themselves together oft, and join in fasting and mighty prayer in behalf of the welfare of the souls of those who knew not God.
 This is something I have not done much of.  In fact I haven't heard much call for the members of the church to fast and pray for the missionaries and for those to whom they might go.  I believe it would be efficacious and I'm embarrassed that I haven't paid more attention to this vital concern. 

I have long held that the the preaching of the gospel is the most productive thing we could do to improve the world in which we live.  It is important to be personally involved in the process and fasting and prayer are a critical component of success in that regard.  I'm making such a commitment right now.  I'm going to focus on fasting and mighty prayer for the souls of those who know not God.

2 comments:

D1Warbler said...

While fasting and praying for those on this side of the veil to be sent missionaries, it is a great idea to pray for those souls on the other side of the veil as well. I've had many experiences in the Temples of the Lord where the person I've been proxy for has plead for missionaries to be sent to relatives in the spirit world.

Love Life and Learning said...

I suppose in Ohio we hear the call a little more often as church members. It doesn't mean we are doing our best to answer the call. Your comments were a good reminder. I know that the Lord pays attention to our dedication.