Wednesday, September 15, 2010

3 Nephi - Chapter 19


3 Yea, and even all the night it was noised abroad concerning Jesus; and insomuch did they send forth unto the people that there were many, yea, an exceedingly great number, did labor exceedingly all that night, that they might be on the morrow in the place where Jesus should show himself unto the multitude.
I usually try to put myself in the story and try to walk in the shoes of the folks in the scriptures.  Doing so was a bit painful today.  I could so easily see myself laboring through the night to invite others to be in attendance at the meeting with Christ on the morrow.  I could see myself running from house to house declaring the good news.  In my minds eye I am jubilant about my message.  "He is here!  Jesus Christ has come as the prophets foretold!  Come and see for yourselves!  He is magnificent!  His message is one of joy!  Hurry, don't be late!"

I have often said, with Elder McConkie that I won't know any more then than I know now; but do I?  If I know now, what I'll know then, why am I not declaring Him and His message of salvation with the same energetic jubilation?  Why do I not feel the same immediacy as I would expect to feel then?

Perhaps it is because in this chapter's scenario there is proof.  If they come they will see.  In our current scenario it is spiritually true, but not physically so.  Perhaps I am intimidated by the lack of evidence I have to present.  Perhaps I need to rethink that.  I believe there is plenty of evidence.  I just need to look upon it with faith.  I remember as a young missionary, I was tempted to embellish faith promoting stories to lend credence to my message.  I soon learned that it was the Spirit that did the converting, not the eyes and ears.  I need, today, to revisit that notion.  The gospel message is as beautiful, majestic, beneficial and real today, just as it is, as it was that day 2000 years ago, we He walked among them!

No comments: