Saturday, September 4, 2010

3 Nephi - Chapter 8

"1....there was not any man who could do a miracle in the name of Jesus save he were cleansed every whit from his iniquity—"
I have on occasion experienced this.  While giving a priesthood blessing, having sought forgiveness before hand, I felt the cleansing spoken of.  I have come to believe this verse to be accurate and true.  To me, it doesn't indicate that those performing miracles in the Lord's name are always clean.  It means, as I have learned from personal experience, that I must obtain forgiveness for my sins before standing in the Savior's place to minister to His children.  Of course serious transgressions must be cleared up with priesthood authorities before exercising the priesthood.  But I suppose that everyone must take a moment to consider his life and behavior and to seek forgiveness pretty much every time he makes use of his priesthood privileges.

I don't think this is grievous at all.  The Lord knew we'd be weak and mortal and imperfect.  That is why He instituted the Sacrament to be available on a weekly basis.  He knew we'd need it at least that often.  My point is that when we are called upon to represent the Lord in any capacity; be it giving a blessing, teaching the gospel, visiting teaching, standing proxy in the temple or extracting records ought we not to pause a moment and seek the cleansing that will open the way for the miracles we seek?

No comments: