Tuesday, September 21, 2010

3 Nephi - Chapter 25


6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.
We've always interpreted this verse to refer to genealogy or family history and vicarious Temple work for our kindred dead.  There is no doubt that this is true.

As I read the verse today, something else that was on my mind gave it new and (I hope) also true meaning.

Last night I went to 12 Steps at the Detention Center.  Both groups had great attendance and participation.  Several of the kids expressed a longing to be home with their parents.  One girl made particular mention of the need to be totally honest with her mother.  How commendable.  Still, it became apparent that she doesn't have a father in her home.  In fact, most don't.  Sunday in Stake Conference Elder Munday made mention of the Proclamation on the Family and indicated that the Brethren are very concerned about the continuing erosion of the traditional family.  Indeed it is alarming and I see the consequences of that erosion every time I visit and love these troubled kids.  Anyway, it made me hope that their fathers would turn their hearts to these precious kids.  I know that their hearts are already turning to their fathers.  Most of their problems can be readily traced to the absence of a father's love, guidance, presence and attention.  Broken homes are indeed a curse and is blighting the earth in epidemic fashion.  It made me want to redouble my efforts to encourage marriage and fidelity and family and devotion in this ever more challenging world.

No comments: