Monday, September 20, 2010

3 Nephi - Chapter 24


14 Ye have said: It is vain to serve God, and what doth it profit that we have kept his ordinances and that we have walked mournfully before the Lord of Hosts?
15 And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.
I once heard some one say, "Quit the church and you'll get a 10% raise and an extra day in the week."  Sometimes that's how it looks.  We look around and our less active and friends of other persuasions seem to have it made, while we seem to be just getting by.  It looks like they're, as verse 15 says, "set up."  It looks like they have no troubles and we are tempted to wonder if it's all worth it.  The key word is tempted.  Satan would love to have us making comparisons with those who are not keeping the commandments.  I remember thinking the say kind of stuff about a millionaire friend who has since approached me and asked, "Why am I not happy?"
He thought that making a million would do the trick, when that failed he shot for ten million, that failed him too.  I began to realize in a way I had not considered that my friend was far from "set up".  He life was approaching on disaster.  Meanwhile I remembered the poor multitudes of Filipinos I loved and served.  They had nothing and were happy.  Why?  They were living righteous lives of generosity, caring and giving.  We tend to assume that the windows of heaven will pour out money.  There are more precious gifts than money, I promise.

No comments: