Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mormon - Chapter 1

Talk about a famine in the land:
14 And there were no gifts from the Lord, and the Holy Ghost did not come upon any, because of their wickedness and unbelief.
I'd rather perish for want of food than to live without the gifts Mormon speaks of here.  Perishing physically is one thing, but perishing spiritually is quite another.  Without daily gifts from the Lord, I would still be an addict.  I would still be in despair.  I would be running amok and it is likely that I'd have no regard for my life because I would be so miserable.  I that light it is easy to see why the Nephites and Lamanites got on to the slippery slope that ended in such death and destruction.  Without the sustaining influence of the Holy Ghost, they simply lacked the resources necessary to sustain happiness and sanity.  Being left unto themselves they, struggling, ruined everything for themselves.

Reading this chapter drove me to my knees in the deepest gratitude for the abundant gifts that are available, not for any merit of my own, but simply because I believe.

No comments: