Saturday, August 14, 2010

Helaman - Chapter 3

35 Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God.
I think this is one of the great verses in all of scripture.  There is so much I cannot do for myself.  I cannot resurrect myself, I cannot redeem myself, I cannot live, eat or breathe without the sustaining grace of God.  But I can fast and pray often.  In so doing I can increase in humility and faith.  The best, most joyful, most satisfying, most beneficial thing I ever did was yield my heart to God.  Have I done it perfectly?  Of course not.  Is there much room for improvement?  Absolutely!  But the joy, peace and blessings that have come from giving my heart to God to the extent that I have been able, has been so magnificent that my only desire is to submit to his will with ever more entire submission.

No comments: